PhD in the Social or Political Sciences (research experience in social policy and/or migration policy is a strong asset);
The applicant must have obtained a doctoral degree after 1 October 2008 (parents can add one additional year per child) or be in a position to obtain a doctoral degree before 1 November 2016;
Demonstrated experience with mixed methods (familiarity with indexes is an asset);
2 published articles in international peer-reviewed journals;
Language skills: English (French and other languages are an asset);
Ability and interest to work in a team;
The applicant must not have resided/been employed/been a student in Belgium for more than 24 months during the 3 years before the start of the postdoctoral contract.
The Université de Liège (Belgium), Faculty of Social Sciences (FaSS and the Centre for Ethnic and Migration Studies (CEDEM) offers one Postdoctoral scholarship on social protection policies and transnational migration. The application deadline is October 7, 2016.
What the University offers
• Attractive scholarship
• Resources to publish and participate in conferences
• Opportunities to train and develop new skills
• Possibility to teach in English (or French) within the Master in Immigration Studies
• A stimulating and international research environment located a train ride away from Brussels, Paris, London, Cologne and Maastricht
Tasks expected from the Post-doctoral candidate
• Design and supervise the data collection process in view of building a qualitative database on sending states’ social protection policies, drawing on the input of country experts
• Develop an index measuring the engagement of sending states with citizens abroad
• Participate in the academic life of the university as well as teach in the Masters programme on Immigration Studies
• Submit for publication a minimum of three articles or book chapters
• Present research results in international conferences
• Participate in administrative tasks related to the project
All work would be done in close consultation with the Principal Investigator and other members of the MiTSoPro project team.
• PhD in the Social or Political Sciences (research experience in social policy and/or migration policy is a strong asset)
• The applicant must have obtained a doctoral degree after 1 October 2008 (parents can add one additional year per child) or be in a position to obtain a doctoral degree before 1 November 2016.
• Demonstrated experience with mixed methods (familiarity with indexes is an asset)
• 2 published articles in international peer-reviewed journals
• Language skills: English (French and other languages are an asset)
• Ability and interest to work in a team
• The applicant must not have resided/been employed/been a student in Belgium for more than 24 months during the 3 years before the start of the postdoctoral contract
How to apply?
The selection process occurs in 2 steps.
First, applications must be submitted electronically in English to Jean-Michel Lafleur (JM.Lafleur@ulg.ac.be ) by 7 October 2016 with the message subject, ‘MiTSoPro_Postdoc’.
The following documents must be attached to the email in two separate PDF files:
1) In the first file, named ‘Motivation_applicant’s last name:
• A motivation letter (maximum 800 words)
• A CV with detailed information on degree results, publications, research experience and language skills
• A copy of the PhD dissertation if available
• The names and contact details of three references
2) In the second file, named ‘Sample_applicant’s last name:
• One writing sample (e.g. article, book chapter or chapter of PhD thesis) in English or French showing her/his methodological rigor, relevant analytical capacities and, preferably, the applicant’s familiarity with mixed methods (single-spaced, maximum 10,000 words)
Second, short listed candidates will be interviewed in person at ULg or remotely via Skype in November 2016. The interview will be based on their scientific track-record and a research proposal that they will be asked to submit by 27 October 2016 (single-spaced, maximum 3,000 words). The proposal will consist in a document stating the methodological strategy, possible theoretical developments, and relevant literature and data sources that the candidate would foresee using for the subproject on social protection policies for citizens abroad.
Final results will be notified before 15 November 2016. Successful nominees are expected to start immediately.
The only complete public university in the Belgian French-speaking community, the University of Liège prides itself on its pluralistic vision and on its pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, and innovation. It is a member of Academic Pole Liège-Luxemburg.
Precio medio de menú en un restaurante: Brussel (Bruxelles): 15.00€ / Madrid: 10.00€
Menú BigMac (o equivalente): Brussel (Bruxelles): 8.00€ / Madrid: 7.00€
Cerveza local (0.5 litro): Brussel (Bruxelles): 3.50€ / Madrid: 3.00€
1 litro de leche: Brussel (Bruxelles): 1.05€ / Madrid: 0.84€
12 huevos: Brussel (Bruxelles): 2.74€ / Madrid: 1.62€
1 billete de bus/metro: Brussel (Bruxelles): 2.10€ / Madrid: 1.50€
1 litro de gasolina: Brussel (Bruxelles): 1.27€ / Madrid: 1.15€
Precio medio alquiler apartamento 1 habitación en el centro: Brussel (Bruxelles): 776.70€ / Madrid: 747.29€
Entrada de cine: Brussel (Bruxelles): 10.00€ / Madrid: 9.00€