MA in the Social Sciences or the Political Science fields (specialty in social policy is an asset);
Language skills: English (French and other languages are an asset);
Ability and interest to work in a team.
The Université de Liège (Belgium), Faculty of Social Sciences (FaSS and the Centre for Ethnic and Migration Studies (CEDEM) offers one PhD scholarship on social protection policies and transnational migration. The application deadline is October 7, 2016.
What the University offers
• Attractive scholarship
• Resources to conduct fieldwork and participate in conferences and summer schools
• Opportunities to train and develop new skills
• A stimulating and international research environment located a train ride away from Brussels, Paris, London, Cologne and Maastricht
• Possibility to design a joint PhD programme with another European university
Tasks expected from the PhD candidate
• Develop a qualitative database on sending states social protection policies, drawing on the input of country experts
• Write and complete a PhD dissertation on a question directly related to this topic
• Participate in the political & social sciences Ph.D. programme at ULg and in the intellectual life of FaSS and CEDEM (including teaching).
• Submit for publication a minimum of two articles or book chapters
• Present research results in international conferences
• Participate in administrative tasks related to the project (reporting, conference organizations…) All work would be expected to be done in close consultation with the Principal Investigator and other members of the MiTSoPro project team. Profile Needed
• MA in the Social Sciences or the Political Science fields (specialty in social policy is an asset) •
Language skills: English (French and other languages are an asset)
• Ability and interest to work in a team
How to apply?
The selection process occurs in 2 steps.
First, applications must be submitted electronically in English to Jean-Michel Lafleur (JM.Lafleur@ulg.ac.be ) by 7 October 2016 with the message subject, ‘MiTSoPro_PhD’. The following documents must be attached to the e-mail in two separate PDF files:
1) In the first file, named ‘Motivation_applicant’s last name:
• A motivation letter (maximum 800 words);
• A CV with detailed information on degree results and language skills;
• The names and contact details of two reference persons
2) In the second file, named ‘Sample_applicant’s last name:
• one writing sample (e.g. essay or MA thesis chapter) in English or French demonstrating the applicant’s relevant analytical capacities and methodological rigor (single-spaced, maximum 10,000 words) Second, short listed candidates will be interviewed in person at ULg or remotely via Skype in November 2016. The interview will be based on their scientific track-record and a short research proposal that they will be asked to submit by 27 October 2016 (single-spaced, maximum 3,000 words). The proposal should consist of a PhD dissertation proposal connected to the sub-project on social protection policies for citizens abroad. It should include information on methodological strategies, possible theoretical developments, and relevant literature and data sources.
Final results will be notified before 15 November 2016.
The successful nominee would be expected to start immediately. For more information, please contact the Principal Investigator Jean-Michel Lafleur: Email: JM.Lafleur @ulg.ac.be ; www.cedem.ulg.ac.be
The only complete public university in the Belgian French-speaking community, the University of Liège prides itself on its pluralistic vision and on its pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, and innovation. It is a member of Academic Pole Liège-Luxemburg.
Precio medio de menú en un restaurante: Brussel (Bruxelles): 15,00€ / Madrid: 10,00€
Menú BigMac (o equivalente): Brussel (Bruxelles): 8,00€ / Madrid: 7,00€
Cerveza local (0.5 litro): Brussel (Bruxelles): 3,50€ / Madrid: 3,00€
1 litro de leche: Brussel (Bruxelles): 1,05€ / Madrid: 0,84€
12 huevos: Brussel (Bruxelles): 2,74€ / Madrid: 1,62€
1 billete de bus/metro: Brussel (Bruxelles): 2,10€ / Madrid: 1,50€
1 litro de gasolina: Brussel (Bruxelles): 1,27€ / Madrid: 1,15€
Precio medio alquiler apartamento 1 habitación en el centro: Brussel (Bruxelles): 776,70€ / Madrid: 747,29€
Entrada de cine: Brussel (Bruxelles): 10,00€ / Madrid: 9,00€
Pregunta aquí a otros usuarios que tengan información sobre esta beca